I have been going to car shows for as long as I can remember. Not all car shows are created equal. I like just about all types of shows and car related events, but for different reasons.
Let’s break it down into 5 categories:
- Your local community car show. These shows are put on by your local church, school, VFW, small town, etc. There is usually a charity or fundraiser tied to the event. They are smaller and a lot of people know each other. For me, the local show is about community, friends, people you know, and raising money for a charity or organization that is in your own backyard.
- Local cruise-in. Not a show where you win an award, but an event where anyone and everyone can show up and show off their special car, truck, or motorcycle without worrying about being in a competition or being judged. These can be as small as a few cars and as big as several hundred. The cruise-in is just flat out fun! No stress, no cleaning if you don’t want to, just hanging out with a bunch of car guys talking cars for hours.
- Major custom/hotrod show. Usually last several days with several thousand cars. These events take place at state fairgrounds and very large venues. Major car shows have a huge amount of cool customs and hot rods to look at. You can have just as much fun as a spectator as you do being a participant. I always walk away with some cool ideas and admiring all levels of custom work.
- Concours. These are elite car shows where the best of the best are in attendance. Usually lasts one day, but there are numerous other car related events leading up to the show. Concours events are at the top of the spectrum. You will see cars you have never seen before. You will also see the highest quality restorations you have ever seen.
- Road Rally. Small or large, these events involve a group of people getting together to drive their cars to specific destinations. It is about the joy of driving your classic car and being with people that like to do the same. How could you not have fun driving your old car with fellow car people that share the same passion for “driving” vintage automobiles?
You should be able to find something you like from each type of show. Regardless of which event you participate in or attend, you will have fun, be with good friends both old and new, and be part of a hobby that is one of the greatest in the world!
Share with us your favorite show and why!